Literally my new favorite dinner. Chicken sits in a bubble bath of dairy-free cream sauce that is bursting with garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and spinach. The sauce is so rich and so creamy you’ll almost die. Gluten, dairy, egg, soy, peanut and tree nut free. Free of the top eight allergens.
There are some original recipes that are so laden with dairy, that I wonder if I’m a pure lunatic to even try replacing them. But, try I do! And, this one seriously blew me out of the water.
I think my husband is a bit accustomed to my cooking, so when I was basically moaning at how good this was he was giving me little to no feedback. I finally bursted out, “I seriously need a high five for how good this is! I have to put this on the blog!” So, will you all do me a favor and give me an Internet high-five? Thanks! Men just aren’t as dramatic as women, and most of the time that’s a good thing. 🙂
I was super excited for my parents to come in town because I wanted to make them this to show it off. I ended up not being able to and I was super bummed. I only see my parents twice a year (tears! I could seriously write a book on my feelings of living away from family when you have medically challenging children–ug! I’ll save that for another post) so I guess this recipe will have to wait until I see them at Christmas. Sigh.
Onto happier things–can I just take a moment to declare my love for sun-dried tomatoes? These are pretty much a vegetable candy. They are so bursting with flavor that I look forward to any bite I get that has them in it! Whoever thought to sun-dry tomatoes should be awarded a Nobel Peace Prize. I salute you, whoever you are!
This dish is quick to make, yet so decadent. I know what I’m going to make the next time we have company over!! And yet, it’s fast enough to make on a weeknight. Thirty minutes is probably even being generous, but that’s in case you have thicker cut chicken breasts. Remember, if you ever want to decrease the cooking time, have thinner cut chicken breasts so they cook even faster.
It’s on my bucket list to go to Italy, but until that day, this Tuscan chicken will certainly appease me. Be sure to make it when you’re not so sure what to do with all that chicken in your freezer! #ThisIsNotAnotherPlainChickenDish
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons of oil from the sun-dried tomatoes with herbs jar
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk (from the can, found in the Asian section)
- ½ cup chicken broth (or, ½ cup water + ½ teaspoon allergy-friendly chicken bouillon)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 cup romaine, chopped*
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes with herbs, diced
- Open the jar of sun-dried tomatoes with herbs, and measure out 2 Tablespoons of the oil that they're packed in. Add it to a large skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and cook 3-5 minutes on each side until browned. Remove the chicken to a plate.
- Add the coconut milk, chicken broth, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and nutritional yeast to the pan and turn up the heat to medium high. Allow the sauce to thicken slightly.
- Turn down the heat to medium and add the romaine (or spinach), sun-dried tomatoes and chicken. Allow the chicken to simmer in the sauce until the romaine (or spinach) has wilted and everything is heated through (being sure your chicken is cooked thoroughly).
- Serve plain, or over gluten-free noodles of your choice.
- Stores wonderfully for leftovers too--just be sure to store the noodles separate so they don't get too soggy.
Adapted from: The Recipe Critic